HAIR auditions on May 10
City Circle Acting Company of Coralville will hold auditions for the concert version of the rock musical Hair on Saturday, May 10 from 10 am to 3 pm at the Coralville Public Library 1401 5th St, Coralville, IA in the Schwab Auditorium. The show will be directed by John Cameron from the University of Iowa’s Theatre Department. Please prepare 16 to 32 bars of a song similar in style to that of the show. Bring your own sheet music and an accompanist will be provided.
Callbacks will be Sunday, May 11, from 6 pm to 9 pm. Location TBA.
Rehearsals will begin June 18 and typically run 7 to 10pm Sunday through Thursday evenings.
The show runs 7:30pm Friday and Saturday, August 1 and 2. There will be two matinees at 2pm on Saturday and Sunday, August 2 and 3.
Please fill an audition form out online to schedule an audition time. Walk-ups are always welcome but we honor scheduled times first.
Hair Character Breakdowns:
- Claude (Rock Baritone/Tenor, late teens, early twenties)
Smart, attractive male, with a playful side; a lover of life and a pensive romantic. Strong actor. Berger’s best friend, recently drafted whose only valuable possession, other than his freedom, is his hair. A charismatic leader that women adore, boys emulate and men will follow into the breach. A man of conscience who struggles with the conflict of what his heart tells him is right and what the authorities around him lead him to believe.
- George Berger (Rock Baritone/Tenor, late teens, early twenties)
A social activist recently banished from high school. An unrestrained animal. An extrovert. He knows what is right and sticks to it no matter the consequence. The leader of the tribe. High energy, athletic, wild. Strong presence and, though he may be a young man, he is looked up to.
- Sheila (Rock Alto/Belter, late teens, early twenties)
A second semester student and passionate protester from NYU who lives with Berger and Claude, aspires to spread love, loves Berger but having Claude’s baby. The most intelligent of the tribe. Wants to change society through peaceful protest. Not necessarily perfect on the outside, but must have a strong voice and presence.
- Jeanie (Alto, late teens, early twenties)
A follower, not a leader. Incredibly sweet, understands Claude better than anyone. Wise, passionate, creative woman, who is pregnant with the tribe’s baby. She has taken every drug, and takes care of the tribe. Strong actress to play comedic and dramatic scenes.
- Crissy (Mezzo, late teens,early twenties)
a flower child mourning a lost love – The youngest female of the tribe. Sings “Frank Mills”.
- Dionne (Alto/Mezzo Belt, late teens, early twenties African-American) Sassy and lots of fun. Great with comedy and ad-lib vocals.
- Hud (Soul/Rock Baritone/Tenor, late teens, early twenties, African-American)
Speaks his mind and hopes you can keep up with him. High energy, spiritual performer with a strong voice and presence. A true tone setter that is a natural on stage in any situation.
- Woof ( Rock Baritone/Tenor, late teens, early twenties)
May not want to admit it but he is gay. A young animal. High energy, versatile performer. Must be a natural with comedy. Looks up to Berger and Mick Jagger… in many ways.
- Margaret Mead and Hubert
Two male performers, strong comic timing. One must be willing to appear as a believable woman, while the other is her miserable husband. May double as tribe.
- TRIBE: This is not a “chorus”, as the entire cast is a true ensemble. Tribe members sing many featured songs including “Aquarius”, “Black Boys”, “White Boys”, “Walking in Space”, “Electric Blues”, “Hippie Life”, etc., and play many roles in the show including the PRINCIPALS, MOTHER/FATHER, historical figures, and more. Energetic, creative performers with heart and passion.