AUDITIONS – A CHRISTMAS CABARET
Written and Directed by Katie Colletta
If you have any questions regarding auditions or anything else about this production, please contact our producer, Liz Tracey, at email@example.com.
Audition submissions will be accepted until November 13, 2020.
This is a socially distanced production, produced under COVID restrictions. Everyone involved with the production will wear masks and rehearsals will be limited to individual actors working with a piano accompanist spaced far apart. Masks will only be removed when it is safe to do so for recording purposes. We will record the individual performances and edit it together for viewing. Actor’s safety is our utmost concern. All staging will take socially distancing very seriously.
ABOUT THE SHOW
When the quarantine blues cause Santa to consider canceling Christmas, it is up to the elves to restore his holiday spirit! This holiday show consists of both traditional carols as well as pop/rock Christmas tunes, including:
- The Man with the Bag
- A Hand for Mrs. Claus
- It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas
- Holiday Road,
- The Christmas Song
- Miss Fogarty’s Christmas Cake
- Run Rudolph Run
- Christmas Island/The Merry Hula
- Let It Snow!
- Where Are You Christmas?
- All I Want for Christmas Is You
- Silent Night
- Need a Little Christmas Now
Thank you for your interest in A Christmas Cabaret! Because of COVID-19, auditions will be submitted online through YouTube to ensure everyone’s safety.
The show consists of both traditional carols as well as pop/rock Christmas tunes, so please select an audition song that you feel showcases your voice and that you enjoy singing. If you’re having a good time, we’re having a good time! We recommend choosing:
- A Christmas carol featured in the show.
- Another holiday song of your choice, especially if that song has meaning to your family and/or culture. Bonus: we’d love to hear why it has meaning to your family/culture!
- An up-tempo musical theatre song that fits the style of a song in the show.
A verse and chorus of a song is plenty; no need to sing the entire song!
The show will be performed with a live piano accompaniment, but below please find links to karaoke tracks that may assist you in your audition. A cappella auditions are also fine, and if you have access to an accompanist or backing tracks of your own, you are more than welcome to use those resources.
*If you wish to audition for Santa, please also record the Santa monologue linked here. Monologues may be uploaded as separate videos from songs.
*Younger actors, if you would like to audition for the role of the child who sings “Where Are You Christmas” as a solo, please send us a video of you singing the first verse of that song, as well as the child monologue linked here. Monologues may be uploaded as separate videos from songs. All genders are encouraged to audition. Linked here.
*If you would like to be considered as a featured dancer as well as singer in the show, please learn the following combination https://youtu.be/ABzKNZyx4aw and use this recording as a backing track behind your audition. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gNbBq0wtNg
* Male-identifying actors, if you play guitar, please send a short clip of you playing an up-tempo song of your choice (does not need to be a musical theatre song).
We want to make this process as accessible to everyone as possible, so if you have questions please don’t hesitate to ask. Instructions for uploading videos to YouTube can be found at the bottom of this page. PLEASE ENSURE YOUR VIDEO IS LISTED AS UNLISTED, NOT PRIVATE, OR WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO VIEW IT.
- DO slate (say) your name at the beginning of your video and tell us what song you will be singing. Please also include your name in the title of the video.
- DO keep your audition brief – a minute or so is plenty of material!
- DO tell a story with the lyrics and melody of the song. How does the song build?
- DO make sure your video’s privacy is set to UNLISTED and not PRIVATE
- DO be yourself. This show will be tailored to the performers selected, so we want to see your authentic selves.
- DON’T worry about video production quality. If we can see and hear you, you’re fine!
SAMPLE AUDITION BACKING TRACKS
“The Christmas Song” – (F# Major) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jenk0UaBiQI
“The Christmas Song” – (C Major) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1rgRFVUIJQ
“All I Want for Christmas is You” – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onoBaLzYla4
“Let it Snow!” – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsB1_UGiVoU
“Run Rudolph Run” – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vABIUVtbyeQ
“Here Comes Santa Claus” – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5OHmFVzlFk
“Where Are You Christmas?” – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZX9ds6gbHA
After you create your YouTube video, please fill out our audition form and attach a link to the video on the form.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR UPLOADING YOUTUBE VIDEOS
- Launch the YouTube app and sign in.
- Tap the video camera at the top of the app.
- Record a new video or select a video you already have on your phone.
- Add a title and description to the video
- (Optional) Edit your video:
- Add music (from YouTube’s free audio library) to your video
- Choose and add a visual filter to your video
- Trim your video (change the start and end times)
- Tap Upload.
How to upload a video from your phone to Youtube tutorial link.